Saturday, July 7, 2012

Smooth Repair of chipping polish

Pin It Hello, everyone! Before I get started, I want to apologize in advance. I probably won't be able to post or respond to comments very much for a while. As I mentioned the other day, I just started my new job and while that is awesome, I have considerably less free time than I did before. I'm sure that I'll get into the groove of things, but please forgive me if it seems like I'm neglecting you.

OK, so on to the spackling of my nail polish. I experienced some severe chipping of my manicure by day 4 of my Nfu Oh 51 over Revlon Royal manicure. It was such a pretty manicure that I didn't want to remove the polish after 4 days, so I repaired the chips. I came up with this idea while doing my watercolor manicure a few weeks ago.

I could have repainted the entire nail, but it takes longer for me to do that than to do this quick patching and to me, the patch seems to dry quicker than a completely repainted nail.


Supplies: all polishes, basecoats, and topcoats (fast-drying works best for this) used for the original manicure, acetone,a flat nail art brush, and a sheet of paper towel.
Step 1: Apply basecoat to the chipped areas.



Step 2: Using the first polish applied (for me this was Revlon Royal), wipe the brush very thoroughly because you are only painting a small portion of your nail. Dab the polish onto the chipped area. Allow the first coat to dry for a minute and then apply a second coat similarly, but overlap the edge of the chip a bit.


Step 3: Apply the fast-drying topcoat to the chipped section and slight overlap. Allow this to dry completely.


Step 4: Apply a drop of the overlay polish (for me this was Nfu Oh 51)to the chipped section. If your manicure is one color, just add a drop of your original polish.


Step 5: While the drop of polish is still wet, dip the nail art brush in acetone and very gently pat and spread the wet polish over the chipped area and over the edge of the chip to smooth it out using the flat side of the brush. Blow on your nail to evaporate the acetone if it thins the polish too much.

Step 6: Wipe the nail art brush on the paper towel and repeat step 5 if necessary, being careful not to thin the fast-drying topcoat you added in step 3, i.e. don't overdo it.



Step 7: Coat the entire nail with fast-drying topcoat and enjoy your patch job.

This was my first time attempting this method of nail polish repair and it didn't turn out completely smooth, but it was still pretty good. I think it will look better the next time I have to do it. I hope for non-chipping polish, but I live in the real world, which can sometimes be a chippy mess.

Do these instructions make sense? Does it sound do-able or do you think it would be simpler to use a different method of repairing the chipped nail?

If you try this out, let me know how it goes for you. I hope it helps.

Take care.
~Alexis