Saturday, March 21, 2015

Cloud Atlas inspired

Pin It


I am a little bit behind in posting my book-inspired manicures and brief thoughts on some of the books I'll read during the year. I am participating in the Pop Sugar Reading Challenge. If I finish, I'll read 52 books in 2015. I love manicures that have a story, so once a month, I'll show a manicure inspired by one of the books I read. As I said, I'm a little behind, so I hope to post manicures for February and March very soon.




I listened to the audio book of Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell in January. It is a gorgeous book about the interconnectedness of us all, the opportunities we have to make a lasting impact on the world. David Mitchell has a beautiful way with words and there were several moments in the book when I thought, "Wow, that is a great line!"

"Our lives are not our own. We are bound to others, past and present, and by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future."
-David Mitchell, Cloud Atlas

The novel tells six stories, each with a similar theme, that span centuries. Many of the stories play on the theme that through each good we do for others, by fighting their would-be oppressors or abusers, we bring about good for ourselves. 

There is a man traveling across the Pacific to return to his wife in California who sees the humanity in an escaped slave. There is a young composer who is seeking musical perfection through his collaboration with a respected composer. Another man inadvertently finds himself confined to a nursing home, a journalist investigates safety issues at a nuclear power plant, a cloned woman clashes with the servitude into which she was bred, and a technologically advanced anthropologist works with a tribesman who is fighting against the devil in his mind.

“In an individual, selfishness uglifies the soul; for the human species, selfishness is extinction."-David Mitchell, Cloud Atlas


About this manicure:
3 coats Picture Polish LakoDom, a greyish white with a scattered rainbow of holographic particles.
Mundo de Unas light gold stamping polish using moYou Scholar 02 and BM-312.

About the change in my blog

*There was a movie based on the book, which I watched. It is fine, but it didn't truly capture the theme and beauty of the book.